National Development and Reform Commission People’s Government of Guangdong Province
Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government of the Macao Special Administrative Region
Framework Agreement on Deepening Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Cooperation in the
Development of the Greater Bay Area
To fully leverage the integrated advantages of the Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao region, deepen cooperation amongst Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao, take forward the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, participate in international cooperation at a high level, enhance the leading role in the nation’s economic development and comprehensive opening up, provide new impetus to the development of Hong Kong and Macao, and maintain the long-term prosperity and stability of Hong Kong and Macao, the National Development and Reform Commission, the People’s Government of Guangdong Province, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the Government of the Macao Special Administrative Region (hereinafter referred to as “the four parties”) have unanimously agreed after consultations to draw up this Agreement.
- GENERAL PRINCIPLES
- To be guided by openness and driven by innovation. To actively build a new system of an open economy, adopt a high-level open platform, introduce trade and investment rules that meet high standards, pool innovation resources, improve the collaborative innovation system in the region, and take forward cooperation in innovation and technology.
- To achieve a win-win situation through complementary cooperation. To fully leverage the comparative advantages of different places, innovate and improve the cooperation system and mechanism, enhance convergence and coordination in policy and planning, take forward two-way cooperation between Guangdong and Hong Kong and Macao, promote synergistic socio-economic development in the region, and share the benefits resulting from cooperation with all parties.
- To be led by the market and driven by the government.
To fully leverage the decisive role of the market in the allocation of resources, better leverage the roles of governments, and facilitate the flow and optimum distribution of factors of production and essential elements of living within the region.
- To adopt the early and pilot implementation approach and make breakthroughs in key areas. To support Guangdong to comprehensively deepen reform, explore a new model of cooperation amongst Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao, introduce innovation in systems and mechanisms in main cooperation regions and key fields, deepen cooperation from individual areas to a wide spectrum of areas, and fully attain the dividends of reform.
- To prioritise ecology and pursue green development. To focus on sustainable development of the city cluster, strengthen the protection of the environment and the recovery of the ecosystem, promote the adoption of a green and low-carbon way of production and lifestyle, as well as mode of urban development, management and operation, and effectively enhance the quality of the city cluster.
- (1) Objectives of Cooperation. To implement the principle of “one country, two systems” fully and accurately, improve and innovate the cooperation mechanism, establish a mutually complementary cooperation relationship, and jointly take forward the development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
- (2) Goals of Cooperation. For Guangdong, to reinforce its roles as the nation’s pilot zone for reform and opening up, as well as a main propeller of economic growth, and develop technology and industrial innovation centres, as well as an advanced manufacturing and modern service industries base; for Hong Kong, to consolidate and enhance its status as international financial, transportation and trade centres, strengthen its status as a global offshore Renminbi business hub and an international asset management centre, promote the development of its professional services and innovation and technology industries, and establish a centre for international legal and dispute resolution services in the Asia-Pacific Region; for Macao, to take forward its development as a global tourism and leisure centre, establish an economic and trade cooperation platform between China and Portuguese-speaking countries, establish an exchange and cooperation base with Chinese culture as its mainstream and the co-existence of different cultures, and foster the appropriately diversified and sustainable development of the economy of Macao. To strive to develop the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area into a more dynamic economic region, a quality living circle which is an ideal place for living, working and travelling and a showcase for in-depth cooperation between the Mainland and Hong Kong and Macao, and join hands in building a first-class bay area and world-class city cluster.
- (3) Principles of Cooperation.
- KEY COOPERATION AREAS
- (4) To promote infrastructure connectivity. To strengthen transport links between the Mainland and Hong Kong and Macao, and build an efficient and convenient modern integrated transport system. To leverage the strengths of Hong Kong as an international transportation centre, lead other cities in the Greater Bay Area to jointly build world-class port and airport clusters, improve the layout of motorway, railway and city rail transit networks, and enhance the connectivity of various modes of transport to provide integrated and efficient transport services. Improve transport infrastructure within and outside cities, make inter-city transport more convenient, jointly take forward the development of key projects in the region including the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link and the New Guangdong-Macao Link, etc. and build a convenient transport ring within the region. To build stable and safe energy and water supplies systems, and further enhance the level of information and communications network infrastructures and expand their network capacity.
- (5) To enhance the level of market integration. To implement the Closer Economic Partnership Arrangement (CEPA) between the Mainland and Hong Kong and Macao and their Supplements, promote the convenient flow of factors of production, enhance the efficiency of immigration and customs clearance, enhance the flow of people and goods, and create a business environment that is globally competitive. To encourage an increase in investment between Mainland and Hong Kong and Macao enterprises. To encourage Hong Kong and Macao people to invest, set up businesses and take up employment in Guangdong, provide Hong Kong and Macao residents with more development opportunities, and provide more convenient conditions for Hong Kong and Macao residents to live on the Mainland.
- (6) To build a global technology and innovation hub. To coordinate the use of worldwide technology and innovation resources, improve the systems and mechanisms for cooperation in innovation, enhance the mode of cross-regional cooperation in innovation development, establish an international and open regional innovation system, continuously improve the level and efficiency of translating research and development results, and accelerate the process of building an economic system and a development model mainly driven and supported by innovation.
- (7) To build a modern system of industries through coordinated development. To fully leverage the respective advantages of industries in different Greater Bay Area cities, promote the coordinated development of industries, improve the layout of the development of industries, and accelerate the move towards the high end of the global value chain. To nurture strategic emerging industry clusters, establish a platform for cooperation in the development of industries, and build an open and innovative system of industries which is led by high-end industries, developed in a coordinated manner, highlighted with distinctive features, as well as green and low-carbon.
- (8) To jointly build a quality living circle to provide an ideal place for living, working and travelling. Focusing on improving the livelihood of people, to enhance the capabilities and quality of social administration and public services, increase the supply of quality public services and daily necessities, build an international education highland, improve the employment and entrepreneurial service systems, strengthen people-to-people exchanges, promote the rigorous development of culture, promote the development of tourism in the region, support Macao’s development as a training base for education in tourism, jointly build a healthy bay area, improve the ecological conservation and environmental protection cooperation mechanism, and build a green and low-carbon bay area.
- (9) To cultivate new strengths in international cooperation. To fully leverage the unique advantages of Hong Kong and Macao, deepen cooperation with countries along the “Belt and Road” in infrastructure connectivity, commerce and trade, financial services, ecological and environmental protection and people-to-people exchanges, and jointly build an important support area for pursuing the “Belt and Road” Initiative. To support Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao in jointly engaging in international collaboration on production capacity and “going global” together, further improve the platform for opening up, make better use of the ties with overseas Chinese, and support the Greater Bay Area in taking the lead and setting an example for the nation’s participation in high-level international collaboration.
- (10) To support the establishment of major cooperation platforms. To promote the development of major Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao cooperation platforms in Qianhai of Shenzhen, Nansha of Guangzhou and Hengqin of Zhuhai, etc., fully leverage their demonstration functions and leading roles in further deepening reform, expanding the scope of opening up and promoting cooperation, and replicate and promote their successful experiences. To promote the development of a business start-up and employment base for the young people of Hong Kong and Macao. To support the establishment of cooperation platforms including the Hong Kong-Shenzhen Innovation and Technology Park, Daguang Bay Economic Zone in Jiangmen and Guangdong-Macao Comprehensive Cooperation Demonstration Zone in Zhongshan. To leverage the demonstrative effect of the cooperation platforms and expand the development potential for micro, small and medium enterprises of Hong Kong and Macao.
- INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS
- (11) To improve the coordination mechanism. To formulate the development plan for a city cluster in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and take forward its implementation. The four parties shall convene annual consultation meetings to coordinate and resolve major problems and issues of cooperation arising from the development of the Greater Bay Area.
- (12) To strengthen the implementation mechanism. The four parties shall put forward annual work plans on key areas for taking forward the development of the Greater Bay Area. The National Development and Reform Commission shall consult the People’s Government of Guangdong Province, the Governments of the Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions and relevant Mainland authorities on the plans, and deliver a concerted effort in their implementation once a consensus has been reached. The People’s Government of Guangdong Province and the Governments of the Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions shall work together to put in place a working mechanism for taking forward the development of the Greater Bay Area. The Development and Reform Commission of Guangdong Province, the Constitutional and Mainland Affairs Bureau of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the Office of the Chief Executive of the Government of the Macao Special Administrative Region will make full use of their liaison and coordination roles to take forward deep implementation of the plan.
- (13) To broaden public participation. To strengthen the channels of consultation for cooperation amongst Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao, involve the participation of representatives and experts of various sectors from the Mainland, Hong Kong and Macao, study and examine the strategies, means and problems of cooperative development in various fields. To leverage the functions of organisations such as industry associations, think tanks, etc., support the commercial and industrial, labour, professional services, academic and other sectors in deepening cooperation and exchange in order to jointly participate in the development of the Greater Bay Area. To enhance the publicity of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
This Agreement shall come into effect on the day of signature by the representatives of the four parties and shall remain valid for a period of five years. This Agreement may be amended and extended subject to the negotiation and agreement of the four parties.
This Agreement is prepared in Chinese, and in quadruplicate. This Agreement is signed on 1 July 2017 in Hong Kong.